Story and Philosophy
In 1964 Albino Sella ransomed some hectars with his job of tenant farmer. From 80s the ownership has expanded and in 2000 it reaches three thousand olive trees and four hectars of vineyard with the entry of Albino's grandson Mirko Sella.
Our wines and olive oils, they are a photography of our origins and our passions.
We try to respect the environmental as much as possible, in order to the attachment to the place where we live and to keep typical notes of our territory in our wine and in our olive oil.
Production and territory
Grapes ripens on the summer sun and then we put them on frameworks where the weather increases the natural sugary supply and the organoleptic intensity of fruits, reaching great concentrations of flavors and notes.The environment is a richness and for this reason we minimize the use of chemistry both in the vineyard and in the cellar.
Sun, wind and soil: great ingredients for a unique wine
Mezzane Valley is a little green paradise with cosy and well-worked slopes.
The place is not very urbanized and it is free from industrial entrerprises. Therefore there is a perfect synergy between human being and nature with development of agricultural sector.
The ground of these steep hills is composed of white marble called “biancone”. This type of soil is originally poor but worked during centuries by human being who took advantage of its conformation even to reach a perfect terroir for excellent wines.
In the heart of Valpolicella
Story of the valley
Human settlement dates at Paleolithic Age in the valley, thanks the richness of the abundance of water.
It is proved that a community allocated here during the Roman Emperor, because the presence of a local strett, Via Cara which started from Postumia and arrived to Castrum of Mauro di Saline. But the most ancient documentary evidence that shows the existence of a locality called Mezzane dates at 1035. It is a matter of some manuscripts where it is tell about a donation of some lands of “Lavanei, Maximagi, Mezanarum” which the Bishop of Verona did to Monastery of San Nazaro.
Subsequently Pope Eugenio III gave to the Bishop of Verona Teobaldo some lands among which “plebem de Mezano cum capellis et decimis et castello et familiis”, through the seal of 27th April, 1215.
Since 1550 it had been a recycling of tranquility of the valley and some country mansions were built.